About Me

I began this journey in 2014, but just like any good ole neurological issue, it took some time to find a diagnosis. I am married to a wonderful guy for 20 years and we have a 2 year old Goldendoodle who has a big personality.

Saturday, April 30, 2016

geste antagoniste...what the what?

So, it seems like you should say "'bless you" after this term, right? It is just a fancy term.  Gest antagoniste means a 'sensory trick.' This is something I read about online. Thank goodness for Google. It means there a chance that when I have small tremor, I can touch the side of my face or my chin and the tremor will stop. It's magic. It works for me. So, if I feel the tremor building inside, I can sometimes touch my face and get it to stop. I can also use it once the tremor is noticeable like in my gym classes when I'm working out. It helps me resume my normal activities sooner.

I don't like to be the center of attention. I've always been a "behind the scenes" kinda girl. It fits my introvert personality. So, something as noticeable as a tremor sets off anxiety in me, which in turns, sets off a tremor. What a vicious cycle. Here is my inner dialogue that occurs: Will others notice?? Do I have to explain myself every time? Do they want an explanation? Is it as noticeable as I think it is? It isn't that I'm ashamed. I'm not. I don't like to be outside the norm. That's it. I see how society is with anything outside of the norm. I've been guilty of looking too long myself at others who don't fit the "box." My stares are usually out of concern or pity (that's a whole other post) or curiosity. Dystonia is still new to me. I'm sure, with time, as I get more comfortable with myself and as the dystonia progresses, I'll be moving and shaking to my own awkward inner beat. For now, I hide it when I can with this sweet sensory trick.

I don't understand the science behind geste antagoniste, but I am amazed each time it helps me stop the neck shaking quicker than without it. Small blessings that mean so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment